Taking care of the windows in your home will allow you to maintain temperatures, property values, visibility, aesthetics and more. In order to maintain your windows throughout the years, there are some important tips that you should learn in order to get the absolute most out of these windows over the long haul. Regardless of the type of home you have, the following guidelines will be beneficial to you in improving your home and overall quality of life. Take heed to these recommendations as you give your windows the best maintenance and care possible.
Know The Different Types Of Windows And Choose Accordingly
If you really want your home to thrive for you, it pays to understand the different types of windows that you're able to have installed. Three of the main types of windows that people use in their homes include fiberglass windows, aluminum windows and vinyl windows.
- Fiberglass windows - These windows are the best in terms of allaround characteristics. Studies give fiberglass windows the highest marks when it comes to thermal quality, durability, paintability and other such categories. In fact, fiberglass windows receive 800% less contractions and expansions than vinyl windows, which allows them to retain their composition despite the temperature.
- Aluminum windows - These windows are not going to provide much thermal protection in relation to other forms of windows, but receive high marks for structural strength and the ability to maintain its dimensions.
- Vinyl windows - These windows are known for their aesthetic appeal and are incredibly low maintenance, but don't provide the same all-around capability of fiberglass windows.
Understand The Cost Of Fiberglass Windows
So if you read the information above and decide that fiberglass is the way to go, you should also understand the cost. On average, you can expect to pay approximately $600 to $1,000 per window. If you would like to pay on the lower end of the spectrum, while still getting quality craftsmanship, shop between a number of window contractors and be sure to get all quotes in writing.
Follow The Proper Maintenance Tips
To understand how best to take care of your glass windows and doors, consider some of the following tips:
- Get an annual home checkup, making sure that extra attention is paid to your windows
- Perform your own interior inspection of the window to make sure they're not experiencing cracks or peeling, which can weaken the UV ray protection
- Use a dry brush to wipe dirt and debris away from the window track
- Clean your windows frequently, so that smudges and stains don't create more long-term damage
Follow this information so that you can get the best windows for your home and maintain them accordingly. Speak with experts like Window Tech Inc. for more information.